Thursday 30 September 2010

Full Moon Of January The Wolf Moon

Full Moon Of January The Wolf Moon
From the Latin Januarius, honoring Janus, a Roman God. The Anglo-Saxons called it Aefter-Yule, and prior to that, Wolf-monat. In January, our ancestors gathered close to the hearth fire, and the silence of falling snow was often broken by the sound of howling wolves. Driven by hunger, wolves ventured closer to villages in search of food.

RITUAL VERSES FOR THE FULL MOON OF JANUARY


"by Polly Taskey "

You may wish to incorporate these verses into the 9 BASIC RITUAL STEPS when conducting Full Moon Rituals. You may also want to include a CHARGE OF THE GODDESs.

"Goddess of this wintry night, I honor You in my Full Moon rite

as I stand between the worlds to share, communion with The Lady Fair.

From around the globe Your children call, miles apart yet One with All.

Hear my words in the echoing sound, as I welcome You in my circle round.

I call to You North with Your grounding ways, lend earthly strength to my pagan ways;

I call to You East with Your airy breath, transform the stale to new and fresh;

I call to You South with Your energy, may your fiery rays burn steadily;

I call to You West with Your fluid motion, guide psychic abilities and emotions.

As the days of January lengthen, let the hearth be warm and families strengthened.

May our forest Friends find solace too, from icy blasts and lack of food.

When wolves are howling on the rise, let us rejoice in our family ties;

for the wolf is our model - our spirited friend - a reminder to stay with our pack to the end.

May hearts be glad from deep within - knowing All is kith and kin:

the strangers and friends who freely gave their gifts of care through winter days;

the rocks and woods and frozen streams; the stars above the chilly breeze;

the newborn God and resting Mother; We're forever bound to One Another.

"(Magical Workings, Requests, Thanks, Cakes and Ale) "

I release the quarters one by one, now that my ritual is done;

Farewell to North, East, South, and West; thank You for honoring my request.

Goddess of soothing silvery light, thank You for attending on this night.

My circle is open, never broken; magic wishes fulfilled, the words have been spoken."

"Known in the Pagan community as the "Green Witch", Polly Taskey is descended from Mary Bradbury (Perkins). She shares her interests with the Pagan by Design Blog and Message Boards. If sharing this entry elsewhere, this byline must be included with a link back."

Credit: my-spiritual-path.blogspot.com