Friday 1 October 2010

On Resistance Lizard Brain

On Resistance Lizard Brain
I've been thinking a lot about resistance lately and the role it plays in my life right now. I feel strong resistance where usually I can just brush it off. The distractions that pull me away of producing great work that leads to my Great Work seems to tug at my sides more often than not. Seth Godin calls this The Lizard Brain, the part of us that is primal and wants us to be concerned only with survival and meeting the expectations of what makes us feel good, right now. It is not concerned with the long term. It wants to survive but couldn't care less about success.This is part of shadow work and came to me all last week in the form of what I then called "anxiety dreams." The final straw fell when I had a zombie dream last Friday. Anyone who knows me well knows that zombies totally wig me out in the worst way. I cant handle movies with zombies at all. When I have a zombie dream unprovoked by zombie media, its usually a sign that anxiety is increasing. The Lizard Brain wants me to retreat to a nice safe place where I can't be harmed. The trouble is, the risk for harm is everywhere, whether I hide under the couch or fly across the country. It wants me to retreat in on myself and keep my energy bodies small. "People might make fun of me if I'm big", my brain says. My teacher T. Thorn Coyle says this simple line about resistance that I think of often"WHENEVER WE ENCOUNTER RESISTANCE, WE CAN ASK OURSELVES: AM I WILLING TO DARE TO DO THIS?"To WILL, to DARE, these are two sides of the Witches Pyramid. Two of four walls that grant us a stable foundation to work from. It challenges me to ask myself "what are you so afraid of?" I fear doing Great Work because going Great Work is not safe. I don't know if writing and teaching and organizing will change the world or give me what I need to survive. It is because of these insecurities that I surround myself with little projects, goals, committees, meetings and things that I don't always need to be involved in. Much of it is great and wonderful, but some of it is just filler and I know it.My organizations will survive without my incessant oversight. My ego wants me to believe that one day away from email will result in the collapse of Pagan society in DC. This is rubbish and my conscious mind knows it. Lizard Brain is creating an emergency world where I am the savior. This is a fabulous distraction from the reality. The reality being that I need to work on this book, sit in meditation, and keep my body fit. Those are truly things that I, by myself am responsible for. Those are my big goals right now and the resistance within me wants nothing to do with those goals because some days they're just hard.I write this because writing is part of my Great Work and it tells my resistance that it should quiet down. "The voice of what I want to accomplish in this world is bigger than you." Saying it aloud helps to make it so, as the magick workers know. Resistance is a constant battle, one that I will win.

Credit: asatru-religion.blogspot.com