Tuesday 23 December 2014

Satanism Christianity And Magick

Satanism Christianity And Magick
From: tyagi mordred nagasiva To: FiatLVX Subject: Satanism, Christianity and MagickDate: Kali Yuga 49941213Quoting: andrewb@netcom.com (zephyr) a more proper approach would be to define "Satanist" as "one who believes that Satan is the bringer of spiritual power to humanity." I recommend that anyone interested in defining Satanism take a look at thealt.satanism FAQ, which delineates very many possible understandings ofthe term and the path which is associated with it. You may find it atftp.portal.com/pub/ss/FAQs.The problem is that, just like Christianity, many would like to define it for us, and I find that it feels more respectful of me to refrain from such definition with regard to others. Your suggestion above does indeed conform to some Satanist's preference, but there are others (me, for example) for whom that would not suffice. ...without Christianity, there would be no Satanism. I'm afraid the matter is much more complex than this and I would refer thosewho have an interest to alt.satanism or to contact me via email if youchoose. I may practice my Satanism within the confines of this list (inthat I purposefully become the adversary to certain expressions and ideaswhich I find oppressive or unbalanced), but I would rather discuss the matterand substance of Satanism elsewhere unless and until it coincides with myChristianity (which it often does and apparently has here once again). For an individual to believe in Satan, that individual must also believe in Christ; Satan is, quite specifically, a Christian deity, or angel. This is the argument of very many, though I feel that it is somewhat extremeand simplistic. It all depends on who you are talking to. Talk to a Neopaganand they'll likely tell you the same thing as a nominal Christian: "Satanismis a perversion of Christianity." But talk to a *Satanist* (or, preferrablymore than one of them) and you'll get quite a few different perspectives,including that that which is today Satanism has existed for a very long time by various names and has inspired many social religious movements, perhapsincluding Christianity and Wicca. The range on this issue is truly marvelous. Similarly, Christ is a Satanic deity, or angel. With this I would agree, but not for the reasons you would probably use. :> The two are so closely connected that I can hardly imagine that Satanism "has nothing to do with Christianity."That it arises within a culture which is predominantly Christian is not tobe overlooked. I'll quote LaVey on the matter and be done with the religiousissues before moving on to that regarding my Christianity and magick:[LaVey here is speaking only for Satanists who may be described by his theoretics associated with the Church of Satan]"We don't worship Satan, we worship ourselves using the metaphorical representation of the qualities of Satan. Satan *is* the name used in the Judeo-Christian tradition for that force of individuality and pride within us. But the force itself has been called by many names. We embrace Christian myths of Satan and Lucifer, along with Satanic renderings in Greek, Roman, Islamic, Sumerian, Syrian, Phrygian, Egyptian, Chinese or Hindu mythologies, to name but a few. We are not limited to one deity, but encompass all the expressions of the accuser or the one who advocates free thought and rational alternatives by whatever name he is called in a particular time and land. It so happens that we are living in a culture that is predominantly Judeo- Christian, so we emphasize Satan. If we were living in Roman times, the central figure, perhaps the title of our religion, would be different. But the name would be expressing and communicating the same thing. It's all context."As far as how this path may relate to Christianity in *my* life, and,more importantly, to magick, I can explain this fairly easily. AsI have said before, I place myself upon the Cross the World, at theGreat Crossroads where all spiritual paths converge and rest in shade.Satanism, especially as portrayed by LaVey, but by others as well, is a spiritual path of strength, open-mindedness, and iconoclasm. As such it assists the magician in keeping away the bane of certainty andof judgement through opposition in favor of the underdog. It fits rightin to my vow of humility (associating with the lowly, the downtrodden), andwhere many religious movements form organizations and promote the good ofthe One/group ("The good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the one"), Satanism is a voice for individual life and liberty, for the ego as a healthy part of human life ("The good of the one outweighs the the good of the many).Both are important, I feel. LaVey puts it thus: "The essence of Satanism, and Satanic practices, is theintegration of apparent opposites. We blend magic and rationality together,without compromising either, in the same way we integrate different aspectsof one person into the same body." It is here, in that *integration ofapparent opposites* that I find my Satanism meets my Christianity in a veryimportant Work of art, of magick. I understand that some list members have difficulties with Satanism and I'msorry if you see this as somehow contradicting your values and ideas. I think there are many ways to understand these subjects, and the way I'mapproaching them is not at all uncommon, as I hope to show by quoting thosewho feel similarly. LaVey is no 'Christian-lover'. He is sometimes quiterude and officious in his manner. Yet, like Crowley, from whom he haslearned so much, he is a very important source for those who would explore the mysteries of the world and of themselves.Where LaVey stops and I take up my path is that I *also* consider myselfChristian and place value in the Christian path (I know so little of Judaism that I cannot be sure of this with regard to it, though I suspectI will like it greatly when I come to study it). LaVey needs to fill therole of Opposer, and so he argues for what I would call some very Christianvalues in the *name* of Satanism. He also has quite a LOT to say aboutmagick, some of it of value. Most people can't get past his language.So it goes. For my part, I feel I surpass LaVey by accepting even that which he openly and (in intentional controversy) despises, and this catalyzes what I consider to be my Christian magick, even though the herd will chastenand rebuke me in my glorious sacrifice. Peace and Darknesstyagi@houskaos.abyss.com (Nocifer)