Saturday 8 February 2014

Idiot Of The Week Jay Z

Idiot Of The Week Jay Z
Jay-Z (Photo credit: nick step)

I am feeling more than a little burned out on this Idiot of the Week series. I think it may be that I am finally realizing that idiocy has become the norm and is so pervasive that picking a particularly stellar example each week has become more depressing and less enjoyable than I thought it would be. But the show goes on...at least for now.

Since most of my selections end up being so obvious that you see them coming a mile away, I thought I'd throw you a curve this week and select rapper Jay-Z (the obvious choice this week would be the U.S. Supreme Court). What did Jay-Z do or say to make me select him? Admittedly, it was nothing spectacular, but I found something about his interview with Angie Martinez particularly nauseating.

When asked about claims that he is a "devil worshipper" and part of some secret religious society, Jay-Z replied:

For the record, I of course believe in God, but I believe in one God. If people must know my religious beliefs, I believe in one God. I don't believe in religion. I don't believe in Christians or Muslims. I think all that separates people. I think it's one God. I think it's all the same God, and I don't believe in Hell. But as far as God, of course I believe in God. Am I a part of some sect or cult? That sounds stupid to me. It's like ignorant to even say, and umm... I guess that'll be the last time I address that. It's ignorant to me"I'm not sure what is with all the "of course I believe in God" crap, but it was nice to see a rejection of Christianity. Still, I love how someone who just said that he "of course" believes in a god goes on to call those who have raised questions about his beliefs "ignorant." The god belief itself seems pretty damned ignorant.

Subscribe to Atheist Revolution

Copyright (c) 2014 Atheist Revolution.